Re: Oracle History??

From: Alex Filonov <afilonov_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 20 Nov 2002 09:31:38 -0800

Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<l27mtucbk0llv6u2efi0kdjucs4kb6r7lr_at_4ax.com>...
> On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 15:49:40 +1100, "Howard J. Rogers"
> <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>

> >"Mark Townsend" <markbtownsend_at_attbi.com> wrote in message
> >> in article ZIDC9.80199$g9.225916_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com, Howard J. Rogers
> at

> would
> >>
> >> 6.2 on VMS
> >>

> >Ah. On a proper operating system, huh?
> >
> >Thanks for the info.
> >Regards
> >HJR
> >

> Have been running OPS on VMS with Oracle 6.0 so it must have been
> somewhat earlier, and I also don't remember a 6.2 version. For VMS the
> last 6.x was 6.0.33
>
> Just to add a little bit
> sql*plus was introduced with Oracle 5 as the successor of UFI (which
> was an acronym for User Friendly Interface, and was well -eh- *very*
> user *un*friendly).
> The only reportwriter available at that time was the RPT/RPF pair,
> which was obsoleted with Oracle 7
> Also I have been working with Forms 2.0 and Forms 2.3, which contained
> very rudimentary procedural capabilities, as an IF was implemented as
> a #exemacro case construct, and you have to write your in an ordinary
> editor, so without any syntax checking, and you had to spend many
> hours for hunting missing semicolons, after IAG refused to compile
> your source. Forms 3.0 was really a big relief.
>
> I also remember the first PC version of Oracle (5.x), which came on 32
> floppies, many of them low density, and Forms, which came on an
> additional 16 floppies.

Sorry, Sybrand. I worked with PC versions of Oracle v4 (on DD 5.25" floppies, AFAIR 320K). It was distributed on 6 or 7 floppies, included ufi, RPT/PRF and IAG/IAP. Worked OK under DOS in 640K. The server was using around 300K. I think v4 is still somewhere compressed on old floppies, not sure if I can easily find it. The most interesting thing is that it had full functionality, in 1 user mode, of course.