Re: Cannot start Enterprise Manager

From: Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 13:42:14 GMT

On 19 Nov 2002 05:19:39 -0800, silversw2000_at_yahoo.com (Fred Zimmerman) wrote:

>I am running Windows NT Workstation 4.0
>Oracle 8i Release 3 (8.1.7)
>
>I went into Enterprise Manager Configuration Assistant,
>and confirmed that indeed I had a valid EM repository
>for user/password: 'fred','fred', and host: 'oracle.psnsbsn.navy.mil'.

<snip>

Given that domain, I'd be awfully careful about revealing too much real information. All that's really needed is a dbname and a domain name. You've already given the domain, and one might guess that you have a db named 'orcl'.

We had a situation on this ng a few months back where someone looking for help revealed his db name at an army.mil domain. When the potential breach was pointed out to him, he cavalierly said "it can't be reached." Wherupon another ng participant proceeded to log on to the database and change a password, just to prove to the careless DBA that his system wasn't nearly as secure as he thought.

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)