user defined character set, how to start?

From: Hegyvari Krisztian <hegyvari_at_ardents.hu>
Date: 20 Nov 2002 04:42:57 -0800

Hello,

The character set my database uses is EE8ISO8859P2. I have problems related to sorting, neither binary, nor the Hungarian linguistic sorting fits my needs. I thought of defining a custom character set, give certain characters different values than in my current set right now to reflect the ordering I need and then converting the database to use this new set. In my idea, this will change binary sorting. The first question: is this the right way to approach this problem?

I have read the Oracle manual and I know that I have to create a *.nlt file. Can I somehow reengineer the EE8ISO8859P2 set from its .nlb format to a .nlt, modify and rename it and use it as my custom charset? I could not find the corresponding .nlt file or a reengineering utility.

Best Regards,

Hegyvari Krisztian

pls cc any answer to hegyvari_at_ardents.hu as well. Cheers. Received on Wed Nov 20 2002 - 06:42:57 CST