Re: Oracle History??

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 17:49:01 +1000

Hi Howard,

I got this from old notes and stuff I've kept:

  1. Oracle 1
    • Ran on PDP-11 under RSX, 128K memory
    • Written in assembly language
    • Separate Oracle code and user code due to memory limitations of RSX
    • David Bowie toured Australia for the first time
  2. Oracle 2
    • Ran on VAX/VMS in compatibility mode
    • Written in PDP-11 assembly language
    • David Bowie made No 1 with Ashes To Ashes single
  3. Oracle 3
    • Written in C
    • Retained split architecture
    • Introduced transactions
    • David Bowie starred in the BBC production of Baal
  4. Oracle 4
    • Introduced read consistency
    • Ported to many platforms
    • First interoperability between PC and Server
    • David Bowie release the "Tonight" album. No 1 in England.
  5. Oracle 5
    • True client-server
    • VAX cluster support
    • Distributed queries
    • David Bowie produced Iggy Pop's "Blab Blah Blah" album
  6. Oracle 6
    • OLTP performance enhancements
    • Online backup and recovery
    • Row level locking
    • PL/SQL procedures
    • Parallel server
    • David Bowie fronted Tin Machine (unfortunately)
  7. Oracle 7
    • Shared SQL
    • Data Warehousing
    • Parallel everything
    • Advanced Replication
    • David Bowie release "Black Tie/White Noise" to rave reviews
  8. Oracle 8
    • Object-relational database
    • Partitioning
    • David Bowie released "Earthling"