Re: 8.0.6 database doesnt autostart

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 06:22:54 +1100

"Jerry D" <jdubuke_at_notme.gpdservices.com> wrote in message news:3dda6954$0$28303$afc38c87@...
> Hi all,
> I have 2 servers for Oracle, one had a password of xxxx the other yyyy.
So,
> naturally I changed the password of on to be the same as the other. Since
> then, the database will not autostart. I assume it is because of this
> change. I can go into svrmgr30 and connect internal/yyyy then do a
startup
> and it starts fine.
> Question - where is the password stored so I can have it autostart again?

svrmgrl30 huh? That means you are on NT, and running 8.0 or earlier (and I shouldn't have to guess these things... hint, hint).

What you are attempting to autostart is, of course, a service. A service that was created initially by oradim (or its equivalent). Oradim's syntax runs, approximately, thus:

oradim80 -NEW -SID XXX -INTPWD blah -PFILE d:\somewhere\init.ora -STARTMODE auto

Notice the 'internal password' switch there? So if your 'internal' password is embedded in the service, but you've changed it in the password file/database: so you're asking for trouble.

Fortunately, if you do an "oradim80 /?" at the command prompt, you'll see that oradim can delete services, meaning that you can delete the current service and replace it with one that has the correct password embedded within it.

It might not be oradim80, of course. It might be oradim73 or somesuch (which is why always posting your platform and version is important).

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Nov 19 2002 - 13:22:54 CST