Re: Cannot start Enterprise Manager

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 06:13:52 +1100

"Fred Zimmerman" <silversw2000_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:a695a242.0211190519.6e10896e_at_posting.google.com...
> I am running Windows NT Workstation 4.0
> Oracle 8i Release 3 (8.1.7)
>
> I went into Enterprise Manager Configuration Assistant,
> and confirmed that indeed I had a valid EM repository
> for user/password: 'fred','fred', and host: 'oracle.psnsbsn.navy.mil'.
>
> When I attempt to login to EM Console for the above
> user/password/host combination, I get the error message:
>
> VTK-1000: Unable to connect to the management server
> oracle.psnsbsn.navy.mil. Please verify that you have
> entered the correct host name and the status of the
> Oracle Management Server.

Back up a bit. You said originally you were getting error "2140", whatever that was, and now you're not getting that error, but something completely different?

If that's so, I don't think you can be telling the whole story (which makes it difficult to help).

This shouldn't be rocket science. You use EMCA to create a new database (assuming you don't already have one to do duty as the repository database) and store within it the EM repository. I usually call that database 'OEMREP'. You have first to connect to this second database with privileges sufficient to create new users and tablespaces, and that means connecting as SYSTEM (or his/her equivalent).

Since the repository is just a bunch of tables within this new, second database, and tables have to be owned by someone, you are asked to create a new user to be the owner. Pick anything you like (I use 'REPOWNER'), because you'll never actually log on anywhere as this person.

When repository creation is complete, you then check that the Management Server Service is started. You run the Console. You are asked, initially, to log into the Management Server, which isn't a database at all and which accordingly takes a rather unusual username of SYSMAN and a password of OEM_TEMP. The console comes up. You then use Navigate - Discover Nodes to discover your other (real) database. You log on to that using standard usernames and passwords (such as SYSTEM/MANAGER, or FRED/FRED.

To use OEM properly, in other words, you'll need two databases... one real, one the repository. Incidentally, and just by way of warning, if you create a second database to be the repository holder, it becomes the default database to connect to. Which means a 'connect / as sysdba' connects you to OEMREP and not your 'real' database. Deal with that either by (a) changing ORACLE_SID before starting up a DOS window, or (b) by editing the default ORACLE_SID in the registry (usual cautions apply).

Regards
HJR