Parallel option with create index - newbie

From: Christian Svensson <chse30_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 19 Nov 2002 07:39:58 -0800

Greetings,

When creating our 9 Bitmap indexes on a partitioned ~22Gb table with ~130 million of rows, we are using a parallel hint in the creation script.

We can see that the server is completely exhausted when the indexes are created, we can see a idle time of 0-3% when running top.

Env:
Sun Solaris 6(!) (to be upgraded soon, dont blame me...) Oracle 8.1.7
4 cpu and 8Gb ram

My question is how can we still use the parallel hint, but not completely exhaust the server.

Thanks to any tips.

Regards.

Christian Received on Tue Nov 19 2002 - 09:39:58 CST