Re: Help- connect as sys from client

From: xueyang <xueyangy_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 17:18:18 +0800

The following is what i got from the help, hth.

Remote database Login as SYSDBA
(taken from the OEM help):

Configuring a Database for Remote SYSDBA Access In order to run an backup subsystem, you must have remote SYSDBA access to your target database(s). The following procedure outlines the operations you need to perform on both the server and client. You can skip this section if your database(s) are already set up for remote operation. See Oracle8 Recovery Manger Setup and Configuration for specific instructions for setting up your backup environment.

Server Side:

  1. Login as ORACLE and set your environment variables.

setenv ORACLE_HOME your_oracle_home
setenv ORACLE_SID your_oracle_sid

2. Change to the dbs directory in your Oracle home.

    cd $ORACLE_HOME/dbs
3. Rename your orapw<SID> if one already exists. For example,

    mv orapwQA731 orapwQA731.old
4. Run the ORAPWD executable to create a new password file.

$ORACLE_HOME/bin/orapwd file=orapwhadt password=your_password (see my protocol book Nr. 7, page 16) entries=10

The file name has to be orapw<SID>. entries = 10 is the maximum number of distinct DBAs and OPERs.
There should be an orapw<SID> created in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs

5. Shutdown your database
6. Edit the init<SID>.ora file. Add remote_login_passwordfile=exclusive at the end of file.

7.    Startup your database.
8.    Start Server Manager Line Mode.
9.    Connect as sys/sys_password AS SYSDBA
10. Create a user that will have remote SYSDBA privileges. In the following example remote is the user name which will have SYSDBA privilege

    create user remote identified by remote;

  1. Grant connect and SYSDBA privileges to the user. grant connect, resource to remote; grant sysdba to remote;
  2. Exit Server Manager Line Mode.

Client Side:

  1. Download the init<SID>.ora and config<SID>.ora from the server to the $ORACLE_HOME\sysman\Ifiles directory.
  2. Edit the init<SID>.ora file. Modify the ifile path to match the location on your NT workstation: $ORACLE_HOME\sysman\Ifiles\config<SID>.ora.
  3. Test the remote SYSDBA login. Start Instance Manager and log in as the user you just created with the SYSDBA privilege.

You should be able to startup/shutdown the database.