archivelog problem

From: michael cooke <michael.cooke_at_tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 21:31:40 -0000

Oracle 8.1.7 std sp3 Win2000 Server
I have just created a database on the above server an have a strange problem.
I have put the database into arcive log mode and started archiving. whe I change the archive parameters in the init.ora file e.g archivelog_start=true
archive_log_dest_1="location=z:\oracle\database\archive" format blah blah blah
I bounce the instance only for it not to start due to an error 'ora 00625 feature not enabled 'standby database'. I then rem out the archive_log_dest_1 row and it starts ok. If I do a logswitch the archived redo log generated goes into the d:\oracle home\database folder. my question is why can I not use the archive_log_dest_1 parameter without having a standby database, and why is the archive file created in this folder when the path is not available in the parameter file.

I hope someone can point me in the right directio as it is causing me some major problems.

thanks
mick Received on Mon Nov 18 2002 - 15:31:40 CST