Pre-Allocate table size with minextents

From: Philippe LAVIGERIE <plavigerie_at_transiciel.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 18:00:32 +0100

Hi ,
Before creating my objects, I follow the advises of the document 'How to stop defragmenting and start living: The definitive word on fragmentation'. So, I have 3 tablespace initial extent size : 128Ko, 4Mo and rarely 128Mo. Based on the number of lines I should have at the beginning of the project, the lines added every month, and the number of months I should keep online, I make a table size estimation.
Then, I create the table with a MINEXTENT corresponding to the estimated size. So, I will 'reach' this size after (for example) two years. I know that if my estimations are bad, I can waste a lot of space. As I can have a lot of tables in the same tablespace, is it better to pre-allocate the space for a table (meaning that all extents are contigous) or to leave MINEXTENTS to 1 and the extents will be sparsed in the tablespace ?
Could you share your experience with me ?

P.S : when I pre-allocate the table, I must use DBMS_SPACE to see the free blocks because the tablespace map indicate that there is no space left. Received on Mon Nov 18 2002 - 11:00:32 CST