Re: Is the use of VARCHAR(256) as Primary Keys preferred in Oracle?

From: Jeff Smith <jsmit234_at_ford.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 09:02:06 -0500

I like to think of tables relating to themselves entirely separately than the data they contain.

I urge the use of surrogate keys, and if you must have a unique varchar2 value of 256 bytes, then do so with an unique index.

I would bet that as mentioned with other posters, that the 256 length is in error.

Jeff