Re: broad discussion about future market direction for DBA

From: Jan Gelbrich <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 08:49:57 +0100

comments inside ...

"M Hashim" <m.a.n.hashim_at_sympatico.ca> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:6PZB9.1794$7X4.236377_at_news20.bellglobal.com...
> I find this comment rather interesting...
> "> Oracle is only a database like MS-Access and used in this way and only
im
> combination with software who doesn't care about Oracle."
>
> Surely, there must be some enterprise app there in Germany. Any idea what
> they are using as DB?

Of course there are, a lot - without saying anything about their qualities. SAP seems to be
used by many big companies.

http://itcareers.careercast.com/js.php?view=2&q=oracle&qLoc=&lookid=it&qMile
> s=&qMatch=all&qField=All&qSort=smart

Maybe also good to have a kind of private network of friends in the field of DBAs.
But unfortunately, generally, today there are no secure jobs any longer in any profession
- at least I hope mine is lasting for while ...

> > What seems to be the direction of diversification for the Oracle DBA or
> the future demand for Oracle Solutions ?

To my mind, never focus too much on one product or one company, even if it is Oracle.
Be open to related Apps as SAP or Peoplesoft, or better, be open to even wider; I changed my profession almost two years ago to become dba today,
from surveying engineering, that is,
and I am fully content with the outcome right now. And if necessary, I could change one more time. It is just "never let the bastards get you down".

So - keep hope and continue researching. You will find something finally.

Good luck, Jan Received on Mon Nov 18 2002 - 01:49:57 CST