Re: 9i multi cache buffer

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: 17 Nov 2002 21:21:19 -0800

"Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<ar5po0$irt$1$8302bc10_at_news.demon.co.uk>...

> Whilst Oracle publishes tpc's that appear to get
> performance benefit from multiple block sizes I
> think most users will take the (wrong) hint and
> depend on the feature for performance benefits -
> whilst failing to notice other, far more significant,
> options for performance improvement.

Precisely.

The old "silver bullet" syndrome:

"the magical button in Oracle that when pressed will solve all performance problems. Throw in global warming and third-world poverty for good measure."

Reality has a bad habit of hitting these customers with a "thud". Hard and heavy.

Oh well, keeps consultants in a job I suppose. Either that, or they move to DB2 and get hit with an even heavier "thud"...

;)

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au.nospam Received on Sun Nov 17 2002 - 23:21:19 CST