Re: nlssort

From: Peter Gulutzan <pgulutzan_at_ocelot.ca>
Date: 17 Nov 2002 08:50:19 -0800

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:<G8wB9.77968$g9.219593_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>...
> Not that I've ever felt the need to use it myself, but if you are not happy
> with Oracle's own sorts, you can build your own. There's a utility provided
> in (I think) 8.1.6 and above that does just this... Locale Builder.
>
> Might be worth checking out.

Hegyvari Krisztian and flatline are unsurprisingly correct about the rules -- I based my erroneous remark on an old Hungarian-English dictionary, but now I see that Á always follows A according to current standards, including the Posix spec.

In that case, Oracle8 should be doing what it says it does -- Hungarian sort order -- and if it does not (which I am not claiming, I only accept flatline's statements) is it the responsibility of "not happy" Hungarians to work around? I agree that one can devise one's own routine, or compare one character at a time with substring functions, etc. The questionw, though, were: is this a bug, and does anything similar happen in other countries which uses Latin-2 characters (Croatia, The Czech Republic, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, or Slovenia)?

Peter Gulutzan Received on Sun Nov 17 2002 - 10:50:19 CST