broad discussion about future market direction for DBA

From: shridned <shrniad_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 18:22:25 +0100

Hi,

I have a lot of knowledge as a Oracle DBA, up to 9.2 and I know Oracle works best in the Oracle world and not together with this crap software it is used with.

the problem is the "real" oracle market in germany is dead. There are only few offerings only with old versions and only in combination with SAP, Peoplesoft , Siebel or worse.

Knowbody cares to use Oracle software to its full potential. Also there is no demand here in Germany for new oracle features or new Oracle software like application server and so on. Also there is no demand for very experienced Oracle People, because everybody "knows" Oracle, like the other databases.

Oracle is only a database like MS-Access and used in this way and only im combination with software who doesn't care about Oracle.

My question is what diversification is possible for a very experienced Oracle DBA who always tries to use Oracle to its best ?

I have done some investigation in the java-backend world in direction of Oracle Application server and portal software but there is absolutly now demand.

The other possible opportunity I see is the xml-world in which oracle makes rapid progress. But this may be ten years before market penetration .

Also the workflow software direction with AQ may be of interest but in the moment no customer would use oracle for this but rather other obscure software .

So my question is how does this look in the rest of the world , is it only a german problem or a problem of the economic situation ?

I see a real problem for the oracle company because the market penetration as a "pure" database is good, but there is no demand for the broad solutions Oracle today has to offer. Also software developer do not care about Oracle in a other way than every other database.

What seems to be the direction of diversification for the Oracle DBA or the future demand for Oracle Solutions ? Received on Sat Nov 16 2002 - 11:22:25 CST