Re: Newbie needs help with dynamic column name in SQL

From: K. C. <the_ada_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 16 Nov 2002 06:10:18 -0800

Hi Martin,

Ok. I have a table called tableA:

ID NUMBER
Fld1 VARCHAR2(20)
Val1 VARCHAR2(500)

Where ID has values from 1 to 20, and Fld1 and Val1 could be anything.

Now, I have another table tableB:

Col1   VARCHAR2(20)
Fld1   VARCHAR2(500)
Col2   VARCHAR2(20)
Fld2   VARCHAR2(500)
.

.
.
Col20 VARCHAR2(20)
Fld20 VARCHAR2(500)

Bascially I want to move the data from tableA to tableB. In tableA, records with ID = 1 would go into the Col1 and Fld1 columns in tableB, records with ID = 2 would go into the Col2 and Fld2 columns in tableB.

I'm using Oracle8i 8.1.6.

Thanks,
KC