Re: standby - copy database

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 05:34:52 +1100

"mkoster" <member_at_dbforums.com> wrote in message news:2051854.1037377869_at_dbforums.com...

> hi,
>
> i have copy an online-backup from server A to server B.
> the file systems of the servers is identical. i can start the database
> on server b and it works.

You mean, you opened database B?? I'd love to know how, because if you've a hot backup of database A, it would not have included the online redo logs (I hope). So how you would get it open without issuing a resetlogs, I have no idea. Do you mean simply that you can get the thing to the NOMOUNT or MOUNT state?

> now i want copy the archlogfiles from server A to server B, so i have
> the changes from server A on server B. the database on server B is
> not online.

So, now Database B is in MOUNT state?

> know i want to start the database on server B with the new archivelogs ?
>
> is that possible?

Maybe, but you've been a bit thin with the detail.

> yes: which with recover command does it work ???

Generally, if you take a hot backup, move that backup to another server, you should be able to get it into the mount state and issue a 'recover database' command to apply the logs from the original server. But that's strictly a one-off affair. After you've applied the logs, media recovery is reported as being complete, the database is consistent, and no further application of redo is permitted. Or required. Because the source backup was an online one, and assuming therefore that database B doesn't have any online redo logs (which it shouldn't), you'd then have to issue an 'alter database open resetlogs' after recovery is finished.

> (i dont want install a standby-database)

Regards
HJR