Re: ORA-12571: TNS:packet writer failure

From: Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 16:34:35 GMT

On 15 Nov 2002 15:00:13 GMT, Chuck <chuckh_at_softhome.net> wrote:

>spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow (Ed Stevens) wrote in

<snip>

>> Absolutely agreed. All of our new stuff is coming up under 8.1.7.4
>> and we are in the process of upgrading the old stuff. Have completed
>> all test databases and will be doing 4 servers of prod databases by
>> the end of January.
>
>Great idea but how do you keep up with the releases in reality when you
>are supporting 30 or 40 production databases? Doing an upgrade under
>those circumstances is no trivial task! And how do you know which "latest
>release" to apply and which to not. If I had a dollar for every time OTS
>told me to upgrade to the latest release only to find that release is
>less stable and introduces worse bugs than the original one, I could buy
>everyone here dinner. I take the canned "upgade fixes everything"
>response from them with a grain of salt. Unfortunately that's the answer
>I get 90% of the time.

We avoid going to the latest, potentially buggy release, by staying way (way, way, waaaaayyyy) behind the upgrade curve. Notice that with 9i out for some time, we're just now getting off 8.0, and at that we're only going to 8.1.7.4, which by all accounts seems to be pretty solid.

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)