Anyone using VPD and Forms for security?

From: Timbo <tjbacs_nospam_at_attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 15:58:47 GMT

Hi,

Using 9iR2 database, app server, developer suite.

We are developing an application that has approx 200 users, and will grow. Utilizing Forms and Reports for bulk of development. The users have different functions they will perform in the system. All inserts/updates will be stamped with the user's id.

We are considering 2 security paths:

  1. A user login form that validates off a users table. Once validated, the userid and items are placed as global variables and referenced by the other forms. No need for individual database users, as the user that forms and the app server uses to connect to the db will be used. So one user, one db schema.
  2. Virtual Private Database - VPD From the little I understand of this, each user of the application will be a database user. This will require more maintainance on the db side to have the users access the same schema.

My questions are:

What are others doing?

Does VPD integrate with Forms and Reports relatively seamlessly?

Which would be easier to maintain?

Thanks for any guidance.

Tim Received on Fri Nov 15 2002 - 09:58:47 CST