odd estat numbers

From: Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:19:11 GMT

Platform: Oracle EE 8.1.7 on Win2k

Feeding a series of estat reports to Oraperf, and started getting back replies that 'timed statistics might not be turned on'. Well, I knew that wasn't the case, so I started comparing and estat report that Oraperf liked vs. one that it didnt'. I don't know if this caused the hiccup, but I found this in the 'bad' report:

SVRMGR> Rem System wide wait events for non-background processes (PMON,
<snip>

Event Name                       Count         Total Time    Avg Time
-------------------------------- ------------- ------------- -------------
SQL*Net message from client                 68             0             0
SQL*Net message to client                   68             0             0
control file sequential read                15             0             0
db file sequential read                     14             0             0
file open                                   15             0             0
log file sync                                1             0             0
refresh controlfile command                  4             0             0
7 rows selected.
SVRMGR>
SVRMGR>
SVRMGR> Rem System wide wait events for background processes (PMON, SMON, etc)

<snip>
Event Name Count Total Time Avg Time -------------------------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- control file parallel write 291 0 0 control file sequential read 12 0 0 db file parallel write 1 0 0 log file parallel write 1 0 0 pmon timer 292 0 0 rdbms ipc message 890 0 0 smon timer 3 0 0
7 rows selected.
SVRMGR> Notice that in spite of their being counts, the reported times are zero. I might could understand that for low-count items like log_file_sync, the total time might have been below the millisecond threshold, but ALL of them?
--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)