Re: Oracle security question

From: Rick Wessman <Rick.WessmanNO_SPAM_at_elcaro.com>
Date: 14 Nov 2002 07:11:40 -0800

In article <aqtrfo$p0o$1_at_reader01.singnet.com.sg>, "Max7" says...

>Hi everyone,
>
>I have an application (not customised) that accesses data from Oracle 8i
>database. Some background, database resides on Sun Unix and application
>resides on Windows 2000. Users authenticates through win2k.
>
>To connect from app to database, I have created a connection string that
>calls the database schema. However that connection string is in clear text,
>and it contains schema ID and password.
>
>I wish to secure this connection. May I know how do that? To encrypt this
>file or use Net8 or any suggestions?
>
>> Max

To start off with, Net8 is always used to connect to Oracle.

As far as the password, it is encrypted by default when it is sent over the network, so you're OK on that front.

If you're concerned about other data being sniffed, then I suggest that you buy the Advanced Security Option. That will allow you to encrypt all of the packets being sent and received.

                                      Rick

                                Rick Wessman
                                Oracle Corporation

     The opinions expressed above are mine and do not necessarily reflect
                         those of Oracle Corporation.