ORA-12571: TNS:packet writer failure

From: Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 14:37:50 GMT

Platform: Oracle SE 8.0.5.2 on NT4 Advanced server

Within the last couple of weeks we've gotten a rash of ORA-12571: TNS:packet writer failure. In the past these eventually were traced to faulty network equipment -- switches going south, a mis-configured router, etc. We've been clean for some time, then last week they started up again. Something I find particularly interestng is that we have 6 db's on this particular server, and only 2 of them are reporting this error. If it were a fundamental networking issue, I'd expect it to show on at least all of the db's on this server and possibly db's on other servers as well.

No applications are reporting any problems.

SELECT comments,

               observations,
               suggestions
FROM     newsgroup_participants;
--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)