Re: selecting case senstive data

From: Chuck <chuckh_at_softhome.net>
Date: 14 Nov 2002 14:43:12 GMT

ahuch_at_tiscali.de (Axel Huch) wrote in

> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm desperatly looking for the right configuration value which allows
> to select data in a case sensitive way.
> I'm using Oracle 8.1.7 PE.
> I have to diffentiate between "diagram" and "Diagram" in a select
> statement.
>
> I search the documentation in the NLS section but it tells me nothing
> real about it.
>
> Bye
>
> axel.

Is "diagram" a column or table name, or is it a data value? If the latter, Oracle is case sensitive by default. If you need to differentiate between column or table names that use mixed case, put the column or table name in double quotes.

select count(*) from "diagram"
select count(*) from "Diagram"
select count(*) from "DIAGRAM"

All of the above reference different tables. Received on Thu Nov 14 2002 - 08:43:12 CST