Re: Oracle 8.1.7 on Windows 2000 2g per process memory limit

From: Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 13:34:21 GMT

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:34:00 +1100, "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:

<snip>
>That's an awful big SGA. I had a client the other week state emphatically
>that they needed a 4GB SGA. I couldn't refute the suggestion, because that
>would require hands-on experience and testing, which I wasn;t going to get
>the opportunity to do. But I'll bet my bottom dollar it's not needed.
>
>Regards
>HJR
<snip>

Hey, I didn't know you were working on the same project!

Seriously, we just went to production this week with a new database - 8.1.7 on Win2k. The application vendor insisteded they needed a 4gb SGA, and a lot of other stuff that raised red flags in my mind. Like you, I didn't have the resources to generate the hard numbers to refute them, and every objection I raised was blown off with, essentially, "we're the experts, we know what we're doing." THEY told US how to configure the OS. THEY told US how to configure the DB. Now that we are in production THEY want US to figure out why things are going south.

(BTW, this is the same project I mentioned in an earlier thread and was told to take my problems elsewhere. See the thread 'venting my spleen.')

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)