Re: 2nd Archive Destination Question

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 23:24:06 +1000

Hi Chuckster,

Just to add a tad to Howard's spot on comments...

There's a parameter called log_archive_min_succeed_dest which gives you full flexibility in how you wish to configure your archive redo logs. It enables you to control how many successful redo logs you have such that one or more optional locations have mandatory like capabilities.

If you have say 4 different destinations and if say all of them are optional, by default Oracle *insists* that one destination be successful for the redo log to be considered archived. ie, the default behaviour of log_archive_min_succeed_dest is 1. However, if you set log_archive_min_succeed to 2, then 2 of the 4 destinations must be successfully archived. As they're all optional, Oracle doesn't care which of the 4, so long as 2 are hunky dory.

If you have 4 different destinations and say 1 is mandatory and the rest are optional, by default Oracle only insists that the mandatory destination is successful. ie, the mandatory destination satisfies the default log_archive_min_succeed_dest of 1. If you set log_archive_min_succeed_dest to 2, then the mandatory destination plus any one of the optional destinations must be successfully archived for the redo log to be considered archived.

By combining the mandatory/optional options and the log_archive_min_succeed_dest parameter, you can configure the appropriate 'balance' between ensuring adequate redo logs are created for database protection and ensuring there's adequate flexibility to reduce the likelihood of the database freezing because of archiving problems.

Cheers

Richard

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:aSCA9.76145$g9.214901_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> It depends. The LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n parameters take an option 'MANDATORY'
or
> 'OPTIONAL' (the default). Mandatory means "I *must* archive to that
> destination", OPTIONAL means "I'd like to archive there, but if I don't
I'll