Re: I want to be oracle master.

From: LB <lbunet_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 13 Nov 2002 18:50:11 -0800

Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message news:<VWm*PCPCp_at_news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>...

> I don't care what languages or systems get taught at university as long as
> the graduates come out with an ability to learn new concepts quickly, and

I'd like to address this idea of "ability to learn new concepts quickly."

Theoretically it sounds good, but in practical terms, it's not real.

The idea that an individual can bounce from technology to technology and be proficient in all of it is not real. And please don't say that they don't have to be proficient, because schedules are a major weak spot, not to mention highly visible.

To be an expert in Oracle 8, Oracle 9, MS-SQL 7, SQL-2000, XML, Trans-SQL, and PL/SQL, Apache, and Java is not attainable. I haven't even mentioned Informix, DB2, or Sybase.

> A given programming language takes a couple of weeks to become useful in,
> a few months to become competent. It take years to be able to learn how
> to go about tackling abstract problems and understanding complex systems.

It seems that we've come full circle.

>--
>Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/

LB Received on Wed Nov 13 2002 - 20:50:11 CST