Re: I want to be oracle master.

From: LB <lbunet_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 13 Nov 2002 17:22:27 -0800

faked_at_spam.me.not.com (Jeremy Russell) wrote in message news:<3dca5b5f.449422315_at_usenet.plus.net>...
> On 07 Nov 2002 11:54:37 +0000, Phil Britton <phil_at_phil-britton.com>
> wrote:

> And the only interview I've had - since June - was for a charity where
> I had been doing volunteer IT work i.e. a freebie. I heard that there
> was a fulltime vacancy coming up - for the work I'd been doing free -
> so I applied and had an interview. And they offered the post to some
> kid just out of school. But they still had the balls to e-mail me
> just this week, asking when I was going to do some more volunteer
> stuff!

That's like a woman ripping your heart out of your chest, and while she's chewing on it says, "But we can still be friends." or better yet, "Your sister can still get me that discount airfare to Europe, right?"

> And we're not talking basic stuff, btw - we're talking intranet design
> - from scratch - using Macromedia software (which they wanted *me* to
> acquire), Coldfusion and a SQL-Server backend. Maybe not the cutting
> edge of technology but possibly more than your "website from £100"
> schoolkid can achieve.

What's always amazed me is that while *you* are being interviewed, there are standards galore as to what they want in a candidate. However, let's say they do bring you on board, once you're inside the organization, you see schema, the code, the design documents, the build process (if you can call it a "process"), and you ask yourself, where are all the standards now?

> OK - love to stop and chat some more but I've got the weekly shop to
> take care of and then the daytime soaps to watch.
>
> Later.
> JR

LB Received on Wed Nov 13 2002 - 19:22:27 CST