Re: I want to be oracle master.

From: LB <lbunet_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 13 Nov 2002 16:47:28 -0800

Phil Britton <phil_at_phil-britton.com> wrote in message news:<u8z05zjb6.fsf_at_phil-britton.com>...
> faked_at_spam.me.not.com (Jeremy Russell) writes:
>
> <snip>
> > Education is a great thing - practical expertise counts also - but
> > right now, you could be Brainiac, Mr. Universe, Bill Gates all rolled
> > together - work for 28 hours a day *and* pay mill-owner for permission
> > to come to work (Python - sorry, off at a tangent again) and still not
> > get a job.
> >
> > Industry and service co's aren't recruiting - no-one is changing jobs
> > - and therefore .... we have stagnation.
> >
> > I'm considering myself as semi-retired - and I've got three years to
> > go till the big 5-0.
> >
> > At least with depression, you get caught up on your sleep!
>
> I think your problem is the same as mine. Once you get past 45 they seem to
> think you are semi-retired and you don't get a look in. I've been sending off
> CVs to UK based agencies for the last month or so and some of them don't even
> have the courtesy to reply to emails. But don't worry (if any of you are
> reading here) I've got a little list ...

Hey, that's what databases are for, have you thought about using a database for that list? <weak...sorry, I tried>

> where my business is going. Funnily, at 43 I got lots of interest.
>
> The only interview I've had so far is through a newspaper add and I got the
> impression at the interview that they hadn't read my application properly so
> maybe they didn't realise how old I was,

Hey, watch it! 45 is not old. 145 is old, but 45 is not old.

I was on a project where the technical lead and I did the technical interviews to fill six or seven positions. One candidate was in his late 50s, early 60s.

I would have brought him on board, but the technical lead and other managers didn't see it that way. In terms of technical ability, there was no reason not to bring him on the project. This is pure conjecture, but I think it was because of you-know-what.

> cheers
>
> Phil

LB Received on Wed Nov 13 2002 - 18:47:28 CST