Re: DB2 entering Wall Street. Will Oracle be left behind??

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 18:49:58 GMT

Ronnie Yours wrote:
> I am not saying that outsourcing to IBM means an overnight change in
> hardware and software. But it will be a gradual move over a period of
> several years. DB2 has more presence in the financial markets than oracle.
> If you look at the Numbers its Sybase then DB2 right now.
>
> Oracle on the other hand is losing face at a lot of places. For example the
> California Contract. Its a gradual decline for oracle but it looks like its
> coming.
>
> Ron

Well, Oracle has lost face plenty of times in the past ... but they don't seem to be going away. Several years ago, they were caught doing some creative financing, their stock went down temporarily, now no one remembers that event. Several years ago, Microsoft beat them in some benchmarks, their stock went down temporarily, now no one remembers that event.

Do you see a pattern here? Oracle, in spite of their shortcomings, has staying power. They have a powerful marketing team. At the rate that Oracle's "gradual decline" is occuring, it'll be the 22nd Century before I have to worry about my job. Received on Wed Nov 13 2002 - 12:49:58 CST