Re: ARCHIVELOG mode : Do I really need TEMP and RBS. Can't just recreate ?

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 09:15:08 +1000

Hi Sybrand,

I agree that having a backup that doesn't include the RBS tablespace is a little like having lifejackets on a ship but no lifeboats. Hopefully we've all seen the movie ;)

However, I disagree with the requirement to "really need" (as asked by the OP) to backup the TEMP tablespace for a number of reasons.

Firstly, the assumption here is that this is a "true" temporary tablespace (with temp files and the such) or at the very least a "temporary" temporary tablespace. If a permanent tablespace were being used as someone's default tablespace (as sadly happens) then that's somewhat different.

A temp tablespace by definition only contains a temp segment. If something unfortunate were to happen to this tablespace, then you can only lose temp data. And this temp data is of no use whatsoever as any application using the stuffed temp tablespace would likewise be stuffed. In summary, there's nothing worth recovering.

Oracle understands this and hence has incorporated some significant differences in how it handles datafiles vs. tempfiles. The keys ones are:

The solution to "fixing" a stuffed temporary tablespace is simply to drop the bugger and recreate it. If the tablespace is the database default tablespace (9i) then this needs to be changed first before it can be dropped.

So in summary, no you don't really need to backup the temp tablespace.

Cheers

Richard