Re: Problem start oracle because corrupt tools.dbf

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 12 Nov 2002 13:02:15 -0800

"jope" <newsgroup_at_jpc.as> wrote in message news:<eg7A9.589$a2.183906304_at_news.telia.no>...
> Hi
>
> I'm having problem startin my Oracle instance.
>
> When starting the oracle instance I've got the following messages:
>
> ORA-01113: file 5 needs recovery (something like that)
> ORA-01110: datafil 5: 'E:\GAB_BASE\TOOLS01.DBF'
>
> This happend after my backup last night. Before backup we do a dump, then
> stops the backup and performs backup out to tape. We do not archive when db
> is online..
>
> Hope anyone can help me
>
> Jope

Jope, the messages are pretty clear in that Oracle believes a media recovery operation needs to take place. You might want to select * from v$recover_file to see if any other files are also marked as needing recovery.

On UNIX I would tell you to 1- verify that the named datafile exists and 2- if it does exist check the ownership and file permissions in case someone did something stupid. I notice that the drive letter is E. Normally E is a CD ROM or DVD drive. If the drive letter is supposed to be C or D and someone somehow renamed the file (if that is even possible) then from a startup mount you should be able to rename the datafile back to its correct name in Oracle. See alter database in the SQL manual.

I have seen Oracle take a datafile offline due to a failed IO. We were able to fix the problem by just telling Oracle to recover the file and it did. If this is the case there should be a message in the alert log saying something to the affect that Oracle could not write to the file.

If the filename is correct and it is missing then pull the DBA Administration manual and read the chapter of backup and recovery. That should give you enough information to find the correct guidence in the Backup and Recovery manual. If you have support then you may want to open an iTAR and get Oracle assistance when you are actually ready to run recovery.

If no other tablespaces are damaged then you should be able to query the dictionary and get a list of tables and indexes allocated to the tablespace. If nothing was allocated there yet, or you can recreate what was there from an export you could consider using "drop tablespace tools including contents" and recreating the tablespace instead of recovery.

Once you have reviewed the manuals and what backups you have you can talk to support or repost to the thread for better advise. Remember to consider if you have tested your backup. If not you might want to make a new backup of the remainder of your system before proceeding with recovery.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Tue Nov 12 2002 - 15:02:15 CST