File and Folder backup on IFS 9.0.3

From: Michael Segulja <msegulja_at_procorpassociates.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 15:44:57 GMT

I'm curious to find out what method you might be using to back up your ifs files. I'm running Redhat Linux, and have installed Computer Associates Arcserve for backup purposes to tape, but I'm having trouble getting the backup to work. First, I'm using Oracle File Online 9.0.3, so it seems I'm pretty limited on my options because of the removal of ifsmgr from this version and it's functionality. First, how do I get access to each user's home directory to back up their files in Private? Before, I could log in as the system user and have access to the root filesystem, including each user's home directory. Is there a way to do something similar in Oracle Files 9.0.3?

Second, I have mounted the Workspaces on the Linux server, and am trying to back them up but I keep getting weird errors on each and every file. The error says:

"E9035: Error reading file /path/to/the/file" "E9131: File /path/to/the/file is truncated (1835520 -> 0) on the WS"

So what does WS mean first of all? It's strange, because I can access the filesystem from the X desktop of the server, but the backup software, even though it is using the same user name to log in, can't seem to access these files. The backup completes successfully, but does not actually back up anything.

I'm curious to see what backup strategies are being used out there. I also have the backup agent for Oracle so I can back up the entire tablespace, but that won't help me out much when a user randomly/accidentally deletes a file and I need to restore it from tape.

Thanks for your assistance,

Michael Segulja Received on Tue Nov 12 2002 - 09:44:57 CST