Re: Standby Server

From: Anthony Hogan <ahogan-nospam-_at_iespana.es>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 10:23:35 +0000

John Guthrie wrote:

> I have been investigating the Oracle Standby Server feature. I have
> read the official Oracle documentation and others. I have followed the
> steps to configure and setup the Oracle Standby Database.
>
> I have a few questions:
> My Standby Database will be on a seperate host which allready has
> Oracle installed and is currently acting as my "test" database.
>
> One of the steps is: Copy the database files (online or offline) to
> the standby site.
>
> What I do not understand is, if I allready have Oracle installed on my
> host which is currently a "test" database and is now also going to act
> as my Standby database, where do I copy the database files and later
> the conrol file and other related files to?
> Do I need to create a new directory structure on the standby host?
>
> I do not want to loose my "test" database.
>
> Thank you,
> John

Hello John,
I think you may need to revise the concept of Standby database. A standby database is a (slightly out of sync) mirror of the active database.
The archive logs generated by the active db are later applied to the standby
which must have the exact same structure.

With regards to your test database, there is no reason to lose it. Two instances
can exist quite happily on the same server.

regards,
Anthony Hogan Received on Tue Nov 12 2002 - 04:23:35 CST