Re: Oracle 8i Database with 18,000 Partitions

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 08:54:57 +1100

"Tom Glover" <tom.glover_at_ceridian.com> wrote in message news:7a7ecd29.0211110955.456e6112_at_posting.google.com...
> First of all, I am not an Oracle DBA. Secondly, this DB design is not
> my idea - so bashing the messager is not required (I'm just the poor
> sap that has to make the application around the database work!).
>
> I have a third party vendor who is pushing a customer database design
> that will contain over 15,000 partitions.

Prima facie, that sounds like a bastard of a design, and I'd be running for the hills with all due haste.

>Basically, each customer
> will have a partition with approximately 30,000 - 50,000 records. The
> partitions can be restored on a very regular basis (100 - 200
> customers per day possible). So, I have a few questions as to the
> feasibility of this design:
> 1. What are the performance impacts of this many partitions? I have
> read numerous discussions about as many as 4,000 partitions and the
> general consensus was: you can do it, but you better be very,very good
> and careful.
> 2. Is Oracle even designed to handle this volume of restores (100-200
> per day)? What are the pitfalls (maintainance???) to supporting this
> many restores.
> 3. If the answers to the questions above lead to the point that this
> system can be made to work, what level of DBA do I need to 1)Create
> the database and stored procedures and 2) Maintain this monster of a
> system once it is turned over.

You need a DBA the like of which is unlikely to walk through any door anywhere on the planet any time soon. My gut feel is that this is simply a non-starter.

Sorry, not much help on the specifics. But the specifics are specifically awful.

Regards
HJR