Re: user creation

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 20:49:40 GMT

ANJAL wrote:

> Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3DC1607F.941F17F8_at_exesolutions.com>...
>

>>Billy Verreynne wrote:

>>>In Oracle or in Unix?
>>>
>>>--
>>>Billy
>>
>>And what do you mean by similar?
>>
>>Daniel Morgan
>

>  in unix, similar means have same profile like oracle but restricted
> previleged, so that user can't login with oracle username in sql plus.
Different flavors of Unix have different methods (tools) for adding an o/s user. Look in the sysadmin manual for your o/s (or post a question on your o/s specific NG).

If you don't want to use a tool, you can do it the old-fashioned way:

  1. Edit /etc/passwd and copy the line that starts with 'oracle' to a new line and make any changes necessary.
  2. Edit /etc/group to add the new user's id to the list of oinstall.
  3. Create a directory for your new user (same as the one specified in step 1 above). Copy any startup files to this directory (depends on which shell you assign to your new user - such as .profile).
  4. Anything else required.

To prevent the user from connecting with sqlplus, set their Product User Profile (look up in Oracle docs at http://tahiti.oracle.com). Received on Mon Nov 11 2002 - 14:49:40 CST