Export to compressed files?

From: Tim Kearsley <tim.kearsley_at_milton-keynes.gov.uk>
Date: 11 Nov 2002 07:11:29 -0800

Hi all,

Environment here is:

Oracle 8i (mostly 8.1.7)
AIX 4.3.3
RS6000 SP hardware

For a long time I've used the technique of exporting databases directly to a compressed file by using a named pipe as the FILE parameter in the export and running a compress command in the background to read whatever comes into the pipe and write out a compressed file. This works very well.

The question is this:

Will a similar technique work for multiple files? That is, if I want to generate a number of compressed files from the export (in my case to avoid hitting a 2 Gbyte file size limit in a non large file-enabled AIX filesystem) can I specify several named pipes in the FILE parameter for the export and fire off a number of background processes to read from the pipes? I'm not clear how the FILESIZE parameter for the export would be used. Would the export start writing to another pipe once it had written FILESIZE bytes to the previous pipe?

I'll experiemnt in the meantime, but would be very interested to know whether anyone has tried this and if they were successful.

Many thanks.

Tim Kearsley
Database Manager
Milton Keynes Council Received on Mon Nov 11 2002 - 09:11:29 CST