object placement

From: noanet <noanet_at_operamail.com>
Date: 11 Nov 2002 05:00:23 -0800

I am working on a project that involves object placement (i.e. moving an IO heavy object from an IO heavy tablespace to a quieter one). does the following make sense to all of you: As we don't know the physical mapping of a segment to the physical devices we can only play around with volumes(i.e mount points /file system).
We Know how the tablespace is distributed between the different volumes (through its files) and we also have an estimation on how busy is the volume; hence, we can identify the quite tablespaces by looking at the volumes they reside on. Then, we can play around with objects.

will such a thing be helpful for all of you DBAs?. Is Volume a common idiom?
Thanks. Received on Mon Nov 11 2002 - 07:00:23 CST