Upgrade issues migrating Oracle Forms 4.5 to Web

From: Neville Sweet <nsweet2_at_csc.com.au>
Date: 10 Nov 2002 17:57:00 -0800

Hi,

I'm hoping people will share their experiences migrating Oracle Forms 4.5 to Webforms, particularly the amount of re-work required (or how that can be avoided).
We have 300 Forms, 10-20% of which are complex.

I've read the official documents, which generally suggest it's all fairly easy, however I've discovered two problems that weren't mentioned in those docs. Both problems result in performance degradation, particularly over a WAN. Briefly these issues are: 1. Forms with multi-record blocks and moderate Post-query trigger processing take 2-4 times longer to display the data. This is due to a change in cursor handling introduced as a "bug fix" in Forms 5. 2. Forms take longer on initial display, particularly when there are many data blocks (benchmarked by one user at 0.4 seconds per block). This is because Forms 6 issues a 'describe' on every data block to check for Oracle 8 advanced data types.

Additionally, I was involved in a Webforms 6.0 development about 2 years ago, and one annoyance we had to contend with was that Object alignment is different in client/server and web. This alone suggests every form will require some work. Anyone care to comment? Also, at the time we opted for Oracle l-a-f, but only because iconic buttons in Generic l-a-f were unreadable. Anyone know whether a fix now exists?

Thanks,
Neville Sweet. Received on Sun Nov 10 2002 - 19:57:00 CST