Re: Standby database question

From: Kevin Grant <X.Tenag_at_znvyobk.th.rqh.nh>
Date: 10 Nov 2002 23:14:10 GMT

Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in news:ht1tsuc9duthmlr5h98j88agdkfkab1stg_at_4ax.com:

> On Sun, 10 Nov 2002 16:59:38 +0100, "vob" <vbuehringer_at_hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>the pathes of the datafiles can be totally different
>>you can also have only a subset of datafiles on the standby

> NOT TRUE.
> The filenames need to be identical, the paths can be translated, with
> one fixedtranslation mechanism for the whole database.

NOT TRUE You can use the 'alter database rename file...' mechanism on the standby database...

Eg: We have a primary database whose datafiles are in /oradata01, /oraidx01 & oratmp01. We map these on the standby machine to /oradata01, /oradata02 & /oradata03. We also do the same with the log files.

The process is:

  1. Create and copy datafiles and control files for the standby database.
  2. Start the standby nomount.
  3. Mount the standby database.
  4. Rename standby datafiles and log files using 'alter database rename file...'
  5. Recover standby datase.
  6. Place in managed recovery mode.

You do NOT need to use the DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT and LOG_FILE_NAME_CONVERT parameters.

It works. We've tested it and use it...

Kev. Received on Sun Nov 10 2002 - 17:14:10 CST