Re: Verifying passwords have been changed in oracle

From: Kevin Grant <X.Tenag_at_znvyobk.th.rqh.nh>
Date: 10 Nov 2002 22:53:26 GMT

sweh_at_spuddy.mew.co.uk (Stephen Harris) wrote in news:9s3mqa.o5c.ln_at_spuddy.org:

> Which is why I don't _want_ to attempt to connect as system/manager
> because of the audit logs this would generate.

Stephen,

This may or may not help. We run a semi regular check on our databases to ensure that passwords have not been set to the same as the username. PeopelSoft precludes, as far as I'm aware, the use of Oracle's password verification precedures.

It is based upon the theory that a given password for a given username will encrypt to the same value no matter what the database or OS version. (I've tried this on Solaris 7/8/9 & Linux using Oracle 7/8/9). Eg: The encrypted password for KEVIN on a Redhat 7.2 box running Oracle 9.2 is the same as the encrypted password for KEVIN on Solaris 2.6 running Oracle 7.3.4.

So maybe you could find out what the default encrypted password for the SYSTEM user is and then compare this to the encrypted SYSTEM password in the databases that you want to test. It's a thought...

Kev. Received on Sun Nov 10 2002 - 16:53:26 CST