Re: Standby database question

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 06:29:20 +1100

Well, a simple question, and it seems to have stirred up all sorts of confusion in the replies!!

Somewhere in all of the replies is the truth.

The paths to datafiles can be different, because there's an init.ora parameter that will do a transparent conversion from '/bing/bong/x.dbf' on primary to '/blah/bong/x.dbf' on standby.

The O/S must be the same on primary and standby. You can't ship redo from a Unix box to an NT standby, for example. Neither can you ship Solaris redo to an HP standby. Can an HP10.10 box ship redo to an HP10.20 standby? Perhaps... but it would be unsupported, and would be the first thing Oracle Support would pick up on if asked. As such, it's certainly not recommended. The requirement for the O/S to be the same is true even of the new 'logical standby' facility in 9iR2.

The *number* of datafiles (and their size etc) must be identical on both primary and standby. You can *NOT* have a subset of your datafiles as a standby. If you've 100 datafiles on primary, each of 500MB, you must have 100 datafiles on standby, each of 500MB. The reason? You'll be shipping redo from primary to standby, and redo contains instructions such as "on file 3, block 650, row 4, change column 4 to 600". So if you don't have a file 3, or if file 3 is smaller on standby, such that it doesn't have a block 650, the whole thing is going to go down the drain.

Regards