Re: Oracle/Windows Help

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 17:27:10 +1100

"Chucky" <chuck.carson_at_syrrx.com> wrote in message news:3DCD9475.9060109_at_syrrx.com...

> I have been a Unix only DBA for a few years and have now been stuck with
> a Window server.
>
> Just a few questions:
> Does oracle on Windows use the ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID variables?

Yes. Except that by default they are set by registry entries (do a start - run programs thent ype in regedt32 to launch the registry editor. You need to look at the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE keys).

However, they do not need to be set in the registry: when you open a DOS window, you can type them in pretty much identically to what you'd be used to in Unix (except that you type SET ORACLE_SID=BLAH, not EXPORT ORACLE_SID=BLAH).
> If I have more than one instance on a Windows box, how do a work with
> different SID's (assuming there is no ORACLE_SID variable)

Well, since the assumption is wrong, hopefully the answer is clear!

Don't forget that in Windows, due to its multi-threaded nature, you have to use ORADIM.EXE to create different services for each Instance. Starting the service usually starts the Instance for you as well. And stopping the service kills the Instance (by default, it does a shutdown abort). But you can start and stop the Instance within sqlplus, without doing anything to the service, and without a shutdown or startup implying the starting or stopping of the service.

> I just installed 8.1.7 and had it create a starter database just to see
> the file layout. However, there does not seem to be any ORACLE_XXX vars
> defined.

That's a starter database, and so all the variables are set in the registry. But they can be over-ridden by typing 'SET' commands in a DOS window, or by setting the appropriate variables using the Control Panel - System applet.

Regards
HJR