Re: Oracle/Windows Help

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 00:18:33 +0100

On Sat, 09 Nov 2002 15:04:21 -0800, Chucky <chuck.carson_at_syrrx.com> wrote:

>I have been a Unix only DBA for a few years and have now been stuck with
>a Window server.
>
>Just a few questions:
>Does oracle on Windows use the ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID variables?

Yes, but they are in the registry in
hkey\local_machine\software\oracle.

You can SET ORACLE_SID and that will *override* the value in the registry.
Inside Oracle you should be able to use them like this %ORACLE_SID%
Windoze servers are a big PITA to administer remotely. Try to stick to Unix when at all possible.

>If I have more than one instance on a Windows box, how do a work with
>different SID's (assuming there is no ORACLE_SID variable)
>
>I just installed 8.1.7 and had it create a starter database just to see
>the file layout. However, there does not seem to be any ORACLE_XXX vars
>defined.
>
>Thx for any help,
>CC

> http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>-----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers =-----

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sat Nov 09 2002 - 17:18:33 CST