Using java to create a socket in oracle. Gulp :)

From: Simon Harvey <ReplyToGroup_at_thanks.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 13:48:29 -0000

Hi guys,

I'm doing my final year university project and have a question that hopefully has a fairly straightforward answer.

My project is about getting oracle to alert clients when certain events take place.

I dont know if these are my only options but all I know of that might be able to achieve this is plsql and java. Seeing as I have studied java for 4 years I am wanting to go down the java route. The client apps will likewise be written is java.

My question probably begins with - is java ok to do this in, given that i have a limited timescale and knowledge of how java integrates with the database? I have used oracle for a while to play about with but I'm not completely clear what the limitations of the oracle jvm is.

Now the real question. I think I'll want to open a socket using the oracle jvm so that the database can send information to the clients. Is this possible?

I've been looking into how java and oracle get along and you seem to have to load the classes into the database and then perhaps fire them with a simple trigger. Is there anything more complicated than that? Is there anything i should watch out for?

I know how to do socket to socket connection in java already so I'm really really hoping that the oracle version will be essentially identical.

Ok, my final question is if the oracle jvm adds any functionality? In particular is there any easier way to get at table information, or do you still have to use jdbc?

Thank you so much to anyone who could shed some light on this for me. It seems like a really exciting idea to have java in a database. I've been wondering for ages what the term oralce application can mean but this is beginning to give me a clearer example

Kind regards

Simon Received on Fri Nov 08 2002 - 07:48:29 CST