Oracle performance problem

From: Mike Wombat <pentazole_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 7 Nov 2002 11:29:00 -0800

I have a puzzling performance problem. When an Oracle 8.1.7 database was moved from an SGI Origin 2000 server to a SUN E4500 server, the users noticed a significant degradation in the performance. One of the possible factors we are considering to address this performance problem is that we run 32-bit version of Oracle on 64 bit Solaris 8 on a SUN box whereas a 64 bit Oracle runs on 64 bit IRIX 6.5.3 on the Origin 2000. The SGAs for the database are almost the same on both machines.

My question is whether running 32-bit Oracle on 64 bit Solaris 8 can have a significant impact on the performance as compared with the same database instance (but 64 bit) running on 64 bit IRIX 6.5.3.

Thanks for any hints. Received on Thu Nov 07 2002 - 13:29:00 CST