Oracle 9iR2 on Linux and the 4 GB threshold

From: andrea <arkyn78_at_tin.it>
Date: 7 Nov 2002 08:55:32 -0800

Oracle 9iR2 on Red Hat Linux Advanced Server 2.1 provides a new feature (Very Large Memory) allowing to expand the System Global Area to up to 62 GB. This new feature may theoretically allow to increase the maximum number of users for an SAP/Oracle on Linux system. Anybody knows how the memory above the 4 GB threshold will perform? If for instance we know that 5 MB of (ordinary) memory on the DBMS (Oracle) are required for just one user and that the most affected memory area is the buffer cache, can we assume that (for instance, again) 6 MB of (over 4 GB threshold) memory are enough to host another user? Received on Thu Nov 07 2002 - 10:55:32 CST