Re: Dynamically loading data to Oracle 9i: SQL Loader???

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 17:47:40 +0100

Xiao wrote:

> I am required to design a data loading process to an Oracle9i.
>
> Input: CSV files. The number of those may vary in each transaction.
> Output: update the data in the Oracle
> Condition: A EJB container sits on the top of the Oracle server. It
> may connect to the database while trying to loading the data. The
> load process is automatic and runs as a nightly task.
>
> I know:
> The SQL Loader can load data in the CSV files to the database. I find
> a way to do so even if the input files are dynamic. Obviously it is
> risky to load data when other database connections remain, and it is
> risky to shut down EJB database connection pooling. On the other hand,
> I can not wait till the connections expire, because the connections
> may not expires for a long time.
>
> I don't know:
> What I need to do is a way to take over the connection to particular
> tables in the database exclusively. Can the SQL Loader do that?
>
> Any thoughts,
>
> Regards,
>
> Xiao Yi

Not knowing much about EJB (I've got to admit: nothing at all) I don't understand your concerns about the need to lock a table.

I would
a) use the external table feature in 9i. For details see the oracle

   9i Administrators Guide, which is available at http://tahiti.oracle.com

   there are a few examples about external tables which helped me    getting started pretty quick
b) update the data in one transaction so no harm when the EJB connects

   during the update - or am I missing something here?

Hope this helps

Holger Received on Thu Nov 07 2002 - 10:47:40 CST