Re: University of Washington PL/SQL Programming Class

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 6 Nov 2002 17:23:22 -0800

Jason McClelland <jasonm_at_adobe.com> wrote in message news:<3DC1EE9F.8E751441_at_pacbell.net>...
> Schools would be safer if trained, capable citizens were allowed to use their CCWs- attacks from idiots like the guy in Tucson would be stopped immediately, rather than
> waiting 15 minutes or so for the police to arrive.

Like those oh-so-safe schools in Israel? :-O

(I know several people who went to that girls funeral in San Diego).

> ~j
>
> Cypherpunk_at_nyc.rr.com wrote:
>
> > ----
> >
> > What a great campus, full of gun nutters!
> >
> > Campus security will let you carry your gun into school
> > in violation of University policy! Wink wink!
> >
> > [ CCW = Conceal Carry Weapon permit ]
> >
> > http://groups.google.com/groups?q=guard++campus+author:mary+author:woods&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=gK4n9.36632%24dp1.85733%40rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att.net&rnum=1
> > #
> > # From: Mary Woods (jaunos_at_attbi.com)
> > # Subject: Re: A Handgun Is A Girl's Best Friend
> > # Newsgroups: co.general, talk.politics.guns
> > # Date: 2002-10-03 16:51:41 PST
> > #
> > # "Melissa in Colorado" <melissa_at_dimensional.com> wrote:
> > # > http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/columnists/s_94655.html
> > #
> > # Good article. I agree, women and men both should have the option
> > # to carry on campus if they so choose. I ran into an interesting
> > # one while attending Washington State University branch campus.
> > #
> > # I approached the campus security about carrying concealed on
> > # campus since I have a CCW. I was told that it was against school
> > # policy to have firearms on campus, however the director told
> > # me if you don't tell neither will I.
> > #
> > # For 2 and 1/2 years, while completing my degree, I carried on
> > # campus.
> > #
> > # Nobody knew and I felt safer, especially when I had night classes
> > # and didn't leave the campus until 8:30 or 9:00 at night, in the
> > # dark.
> > #
> > # There was only one time where I felt threatened and I had my
> > # firearm ready to pull from my bag. It later turned out that
> > # the man in the parking lot was a security guard from campus who
> > # had gotten a report of a car prowler and was checking the area
> > # of the parking lot where my car was parked. In the semi-darkness
> > # of the lot and the fog, I wasn't able to immediately identify
> > # him. Just being cautious.
> >
> > BANG BANG! Oops!

You said it. Not to mention "I didn't know it was loaded" "I thought the safety was on" "I didn't _think_ I squeezed the trigger" and just general immature idiocy.

Now, I like things that go bang as much as the next guy (maybe even a bit more, heh heh http://www.srl.org/ ), but I just don't think the general driving-SUV-while-cellphoning-poor-grad-student/public _wants_ to be properly trained in gun usage. If its feel-good you want, there are better ways.

jg

--
@home is bogus.
An armed society is a psycho society.