Re: PHP4 & Oracle

From: Geoff Muldoon <gmuldoon_at_scu.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 08:35:36 +1100

admin_at_prismatic-effulgence.fsnet.co.uk says...
>Hi,
> I've a number of thin client applications that use PHP4 against Oracle
>8.1.x and have had no problems at all.
>
>If you want to achieve a degree of database transparancy (i.e. you want your
>web pages to be transportable to different database backends) you might want
>to consider ADODB (http://php.weblogs.com/) which provides a rather nice
>abstraction layer. However, you need to consider the trade-offs between a
>consistant and transportable database infrastructure vs the potential
>performance gains acheivable if you code for a dedicated RDBMS backend.

The later versions of ADODB cater for bind variables in SQL queries against Oracle databases, so there are now fewer clear advantages in using the dedicated OCI8 PHP library.

For consistency of coding standards (we also run a smaller MySQL DB where the code binding the variables just gets ignored), it's great.

Geoff M Received on Wed Nov 06 2002 - 15:35:36 CST