I want to be oracle master.

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 16:31:35 -0000

Lone Wolf,

I too want to be an Oracle master !

Go to http://otn.oracle.com and register for free. Go to the downloads page and download Oracle 9i for your PC - windows or Linux or whatever.
Go to the docs page and download the concepts manual - for starters.

Before you do this consider the size of the downloads - it might be better to send Oracle some money (not much) for the CDs to be sent to you. You are permitted to use the 'trial' versions for your own learning with no charge and no timeout periods provided you don't go commercial etc. Check out the licence. And the trial version *is* the same as the full version !

Read the concepts manual, and understand it. Get hold of Oracle one-on-one by Tom Kyte. Get Beginning Oracle Programming by Sean Dillon, Tom Kyte, et al (and Howard J Rodgers).
Install Oracle.
Read the books, when you want to do stuff, try it out in your database. If it fails, come back here via GOOGLE GROUPS where you can search for previous answers to problems. If you find nothing, try http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq_ind.html and if still nothing, ask here. Don't forget to give details of platform, version of Oracle and the actual error codes and messages you get. Read and experiment !

After a while you should be getting oin the long road to being an Oracle master. If you find some trainee positions somewhere - consider them, you may well get training paid for !

Good luck.

Regards Norman.

PS. The fast way to enlightenment is to be Ton Kyte, Jonathan Lewis, Howard J Rodgers, Connor McDonald, Niall, Nuno .......... But those positions are already taken :o)

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator
Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.
mailto:Norman.Dunbar_at_LFS.co.uk